Pages

10.04.2011

A Challenge from an Atheist.

"If I firmly believed,
                     as millions say they do, 
         
            that the knowledge and practice of religion in this life influences destiny in another,
                         then religion would mean to me everything.

          I would cast away earthly enjoyments as dross, earthly cares as follies,
                 and earthly thoughts and feelings as vanity.
         
  Religion would be my first waking thought and my last image before sleep sank me into unconsciousness.
                         
       I should labor in its cause alone.
       I would take thought for the matter of eternity alone.
       I would esteem one soul gained for heaven worth a life of suffering.
 
       Earthly consequences would never stay my hand, or seal my lips.
       Earth, its joys and its griefs, would occupy no moment of my thoughts.
        I would strive to look upon eternity alone, and on the immortal souls around me,
          soon to be everlastingly happy or everlastingly miserable.
     
     I would go forth to the world and preach to it in season and out of season, 
              and my text would be:
 "WHAT SHALL IT PROFIT A MAN IF HE GAIN THE                
           WHOLE WORLD AND LOSE HIS SOUL?""
                    - An Atheist.




Makes you think, doesn't it?
About your commitments, your resolutions, your life.
It does for me, anyway.
And  I know that it would be impossible to do all those things without God's help, but, how would this world be,
If just 1 in 500,000,000 Christians would TRY to live their lives like this?

I want to try.
I want to be this kind of a Christian.
Pray for me?







 - Me.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm, conviction. How about this spoken to a reverend by an 1800’s criminal, prior to his execution:

    “Sir, I do not share your faith. But if I did – if I believed what you say you believed – then although England were covered with broken glass from coast to coast, I would crawl the length and breadth of it on hand and knee and think the pain worthwhile, just to save a single soul from this eternal hell of which you speak.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! amazing! You have an amazing heart for Jesus! praying for you! and it shall be my goal in life. :)

    ReplyDelete